Data Engineering: Extracting data from APIs and databases; writing complex transformations in Python, Pandas, and SQL; building data pipelines with Logstash; executing multi-step data workflows with dependencies using Makefiles; administering topics, partitions, and consumer groups in Kafka; administering Elasticsearch indices, nodes, and clusters
Development: Python, Elasticsearch, Ruby, Java, Kafka Streams, SQL (T-SQL on SQL Server, Spark SQL), Azure: Event Hubs, Logic Apps, Stream Analytics
Analysis: Experience in developing functional design documents; successful at bridging the gap between business and technical realms; preparing prototypes; user-centered design; lean product development.
[September 2017 – Present] Information Security Analyst (Development and Automation) for Kiewit Technology Group (Omaha, Nebraska)
- Responsible for architecting, building, and maintaining a SIEM (Security Information and Event Management) data platform from open source tools, including Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana (ELK Stack), Kafka, TheHive, and ElastAlert
- Driving implementation of Kappa Architecture streaming data solutions with Kafka Streams and KSQL across multiple teams, including a proof of concept building comprehensive joined views of objects in SAP based on change-data-capture (CDC) streams of SAP tables into Kafka
- Deployed Logstash data pipelines to Docker Swarm, enabling scalable ingestion for peak activity (400+ GB/day, 370MM+ logs/day) and one-command packaging and deployment of new ETL containers, enabling our analysts to gain insights from data more quickly
- Trained team members on JSON and using REST APIs from Python, cURL, and PowerShell
- Deployed Traefik and OpenFaaS onto Docker Swarm, providing a flexible platform for service development
- Developed Python services for data extraction from 3rd-party services including Office 365 Management API into Kafka, with scheduled execution on Docker Swarm
- Developed complex ETL in Pandas to extract meaning from SAP Audit Logs, enabling real-time monitoring of SAP transaction code execution
- Automated IR (Incident Response) case management in TheHive, including a custom ElastAlert connector that uses a version-controlled repository of Incident Response Plans
- Developed Data Enrichment suites, including front-end tools for analyst maintenance of contextual data, a PostgreSQL DB + PostgREST API utilizing triggers in PostgreSQL for auditing of changes, and Ruby scripts for Logstash to enrich security logs with up-to-the-second intelligence
- Proof of concept using Spark SQL and the Elasticsearch-Hadoop bridge to develop rich interactive analytics system for TheHive data
[October 2016 – September 2017] Business Analyst for Kiewit Technology Group (Omaha, Nebraska)
- As a business analyst, responsible for working with domain experts to gather requirements, and lead testing efforts on new product development
- Developed complex ETL (extract, transform, load) of $1B+ of SAP transactional data into Ariba Spend Analysis, using Python and T-SQL
- Developed proof of concept apps for Microsoft Hololens using C# and Unity, including the MR (Mixed Reality) Sharing libraries for Hololens-to-Hololens networking and voice recognition
[November 2015 – October 2016] Systems Engineer for Kiewit Energy (Lusby, Maryland).
- Responsible for material master data strategy for all engineered equipment on a $4B LNG plant expansion project, including organization, nomenclature, and tagging
- Realized $1.1MM in efficiency gains by designing, developing, and deploying a new material management system handling over $12MM/year in transactions with complex cost accounting across engineering disciplines.
- Reduced time-to-replenish by hours every day with a reporting application in Java that combined transactional data, SAP warehouse information, and a map of the warehouse to produce optimized pick tickets
- Improved engineer efficiency by automating material data uploads
[August 2014 – November 2015] Business Analyst for Kiewit Technology Group (Omaha, Nebraska).
- Started as an intern in August 2014. Hired full time in February 2015.
- Responsible for writing functional specifications for SAP enhancements, writing and executing test plans, and facilitating UAT (user acceptance testing).
[2009-2014] Bachelor of Science, Mathematics at Florida State University. Minor in Computer Science.
[2009-2014] Bachelor of Arts, Philosophy at Florida State University. Minor in Russian.